Sunday, June 7, 2009

Raw Food Diet, Day 498- A Good Egg

Hi fellow feasting friends! My stinkbutt bro and I have been chillin' like villains on this Sunday morning. It's just a super laid-back drizzly day.Yesterday, on the other paw, was a rather exciting day for me. I got to go on a long walk with my family to the PukeMobile, and we took a nauseating ride to the Place of Tile and Steel. And you know how a trip there can get your adrenaline pumping!! Normally, visits to the vet go a little something like this:

I make my dramatic whining, lunging, and sliding-about entrance and my folks attempt to have me Sit Like Good Boy on the scale. After many only slightly successful attempts and a guess at the final poundage, I'm dragged to the back of the waiting area where my whines turn into screams and wails and I leap at the window and thrash to get at any fun-looking dog that might be hanging out there with me. I become totally manic and move in double-time. Once the humans that work at the front desk can no longer answer phone calls or hear themselves think, they usher me into an exam room to wait "where I'll be less excited" until the doctor is ready. In that little room, I continue with my futile attempts to grip the floor and my shrieking elevates in that voice-enhancing little space. My people hold me, pace around, offer treats - but NOTHING soothes the beast. When the doctor comes in I'm PUMPED and every piece of me heads off on its own trajectory and I thrash about with way too much excitement. If I'm not being held or touched I'm busy screaming and staring into the reflective garbage bin that sits under the exam table and the humans can't hear each other talk. After all this, the vet gives up on conversation and writes everything out on paper for my people to read, then they make my folks check out in the little room and we run out the door to go home.

Not too terrible, right? SO NOT!! At least I don't think so.

But yesterday's trip was a little unusual. Prepared for the worst, my folks came armed with treats and the knowledge 0f how these visits generally unfold. We zoomed up to the check-in counter and I was gingerly place on the scale to get my weight. Mom half-heartedly held a treat and told me to "Sit Like Good Boy and Stay, Please, Just for a second longer, Wait, Don't Move, Hold On"... And I did. I didn't take my eyes off that treat and my bum didn't move an inch. Hmmph. And then we scooted to the back of the waiting room, my people preparing themselves and their ear drums for the screaming to commence, as dogs and doctors and techs swirled around us. Boy was I into it! I was so excited! There was one totally awesome looking Golden Retriever near us and a Golden Doodle puppy that looked like a party animal!! Big Pupi was busy doing Good Boy stuff for treats but I was taking it all in. Tail wagging, bum bouncing, body buzzing. And just when it all seemed like too much, my people were certain that this was the moment... Stanislaw's about to EXPLODE!!!!

I lied down.

I placed my belly on the cool floor, pressed my legs back frog-style and exposed the ol' groin to the fabulous iciness. I stayed there relaxed, observing, interested, and quiet. YES... QUIET. I performed some tricks for mom. Shook with my right leg. Shook with my left. Earned myself some little treats. And we were never banished into the little lonely room to wait out our waiting time.
Eventually we were brought back and my doctor met us. Boy was I happy to see her! I wiggled and woozled and presented my bum for her bum-scritching delight. When she lifted me onto the table I'm pretty positive I gave her more kisses and wet willies than she has EVER had before. It was so awesome!! She gave my ears and my teeth an A+ and said that I am the beastliest of all beastlies. She stole some of my blood (I didn't care much), shoved a thingy up my schnozzle, and then talked shop with my folks.

I've been feasting on 1.5mg of melatonin with breakfast each day for about a week now, and at first I didn't really notice anything. But as the week went on I kept forgetting that I was supposed to scream, and I figured that sizzling sounds aren't that scary after all. (I heard some major sizzle on Thursday and came to the kitchen to see what it was.) I'm a long long LONG ways from better, but because I've made such improvements on such a low dose, Doctor said that she didn't want to prescribe me any other kind of medication. Not yet, anyways. Maybe we could add a little tryptophan to my food, but that was about it.

I'm on 3mg of melatonin now, and today was my first dose. Mom said I looked a little woozely from it~
And she thinks I'm crazy laid-back right now and is wondering if that's okay or if the dose is too high. But, so far my people have only seen one twitch today and otherwise I've been a normal beastly boy. I've been relaxed, sprawled out, doing the Flat Stanley and chewing merrily on a chewy.

I'm still begging dad for his scrabbled eggs and showing off my funky pokey rib:
And I'm still a Stuffy Thrasher of the First Order:
They're going to play with my dose a little - trying to find a good balance that doesn't make me too sleepy. Mom thinks 3mg makes me a little glassy eyed but that may go away in another day or two. Doctor lady wants me to stick with this treatment for 3 weeks before changing anything up, but if the improvements continue as they've been I'll be able to avoid any real medication completely.

My people are impressed. I'm not surprised... I'm one impressive manly beast of massive proportions. Heck... I'm so incredible I even amaze myself sometimes - like when I projectile puked in the back of the PukeMobile on the way home from the Place of Tile and Steel. It was beefy explosions of the awesomest kind! I am SO TALENTED!!

Your feasting, beasting man is on the mend,
Stanislaw

21 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

That was ONE pawesome post!

Here's to many more like THAT!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Agatha and Archie said...

Well that is fantabulous!!! PL2 says wait the three weeks....you have to get acclimated to it and will get less sleepy....We are soooooooo happy for you!!! Love nad kisses A+A

Anonymous said...

YAY Stan!!! We are SO HAPPY to read this! I have't been commenting, but we've been checking on your blog regularly to keep abreast of your happenings. My girl says that you are VERY lucky to have the parents you do - they care so much about you and your health! We know they'll make the best decisions for you and your family.

My girl works with *peoples* who have that disorder... she says it takes a lot of patience and determination, but you guys can beat it! One of her clients who REALLY struggled with that just got discharged the other week - and she's doing great! There's hope! :-)

Taddy (and Fig and our girl)

Joe Stains said...

This is GREAT news buddy! We are very happy this melatonin is helping you so much! The vet visit sounds like it improved 200%

Molly the Airedale said...

What awesome news to wake up too, Stan! We are so happy for you! Our paws are crossed that this is the answer you've needed!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Mack said...

That is the best news ever! Looks like you have found the answer to your problem my man!
We look forward to hearing more pupdates!

Tee said...

Hurray for Stanslaw!! We're thrilled that the meds are working and you're finally on your way to enjoy a real happy DOG's life!

licks and wags

Tuffy and the Dog Woods Pack

Coco Bean - The Princess said...

I have a tree-lobster badge and an award on my page for you two boys.

Tail Wiggles & Puppy Kisses

Coco The Princess

GSD Adventures said...

Oh this is such wonderful news! Keep us posted!

Wags,
Pruett and Daphne

PS. Love the goat feasting and Shepherds' Ledge reply post. Too funny! We love our family there. :D

Fenway said...

Have no fear, Stan Man

I will step up to the plate any time you can't make it. You can ALWAYS count on me to bark-scream and do berserkos once the car door opens in the driveway of the Place of Tile & Steel.

High five paws to me that my exact weight can only be calculated. I know EXACTLY what's going on when they try and stand me on that rubbery mat. You would love my LeBron James feints and spins as I dodge by any outstretched arms.

My Place of Tile & Steel has a resident parrot. He joins in with my screams and does some righteous squawking of his own. Trust me....I really know how to get a party started!!

Your pal,
Fenway

PS: my predecessor, Logo, also has issues with sizzling sounds. Weird, huh?

Stanley said...

STAN!!

You are still the most beastly of beasts I have ever seen! LOVE all the photos of you, regardless of your expression. My girl always wants to reach through the puter to scritch your punkin head and bum, and to squeeze the beefiness right out of you!

I'm catching up on all you've been posting over the least couple of weeks, and I'm so STINKIN' glad that the melatonin appears to be working. Your time at the place of tile & steel sounds like it went amazingly well. Just so long as you don't lose your zest for life, I'd say you may have a weiner of a therapy on your paws!

When I saw your list of symptoms it matches mine in a lot of ways, but unless I'm looking for a bug that is dive bombing me outside, I'm usually not so fixated that my girl can't get my attention to go play or go outside to weeble. I did try out some other meds just to help on my trip, but it seems that I didn't use them the last several days and I was fine.

Tell Pupi he's looking fine and stepping out in style in his new therapy dog duds. I'm sorry to hear that you two did not get a chance to hang with Mr. Ratbutt, but at least you got to see him.

We're going by to check out your mama's Etsy store. I have to watch it when I let my girl go to Etsy... it's a little addictive for her.

Goober love & smooches,
Stanley

Kimberly said...

lol... Thanks for stopping by our blog :); You're funny, mom needed a laugh so HIGH FIVE dogg!
I like the funky rib. Everyone tells me I'm too skinny but I eat. I dont know maybe I'm just too active? Should I try raw meat.. BOL

Petra said...

Yea for the melatonin, Stanislaw! I'm so glad it's helping you feel better.

Thanks for the tip about the apple baby food; I'm going to write it on Motch's grocery list right now.

Eric said...

Stanislaw- you made me dance and prance in happiness for you and your leggededs!! That's the most fantastic news I've heard lately and so deserving to such a hunk of handsome manly beasty goodness with a punky rib!!! Woohooo let's pawty. Paws crossed this continues for you. And your vet visit - amazing. You are one cool dude.

Wiry wags and kissies, Eric xxxxxx

parlance said...

That is wonderful news. I am sending good vibes your way that things will continue to go well.

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Hi Stanislaw, we have just been catching up on your blog.

It sounds like the vet visit was a lot better for you. We hope you continue to do well on the meds.

Holly & Zac...XX

C.l.o.v.e.r. said...

Hi Stan!
Glad to hear your good news!
I have a new blog now; please come meet my new brother if you get a chance. If you would like to link to me, can you please list me as "Sunshine and Mud Puddles"? Thanks!
xo

Amber-Mae said...

Hey Stan! I heard that you're not feeling too good. We hope the medications will help...

Smoochies,
Solid Gold "Actress"

Juno said...

Hello Stanislaw, we're always So impressed by your post...and here's another one.. :)

Momo & Pinot

the many Bs said...

hi Stanislaw, you are one of a kind! we are so proud of you for being such a good boy at the vet's. we're happy to hear that you are beastly and healthy, but of course, that doesn't surprise us.

that projectile vomiting really impresses us. we're so sorry to have missed that. we bet it was awesome!

keep up the good work, buddy.

woofs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stanislaw! Just caught up on your bloggie! You has been through a lot, but this post was very pawsitive! Well done for being so good at the vets!!
Could you ask your humans to pop by our bloggie, and go down to the bottom right and clickie "email us" and send over your adress? We has got your (very late) prizes for the naughty pup contest here to post out to you!
Luvs Scott xx