Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Raw Food Diet, Day 377- The Magical Mystery Meat Locker

Dudes. Seriously. The MOST AMAZING thing happened the other day.

Mom was planning to make a trip to the meat packer for some tasty RMBs (raw meaty bones), muscle meat and organs when she opted to organize our meat locker first. She thought we were running out of protein options, and my folks like to make sure Big Pupi and I have a decent variety of meatiness so that they can alternate our protein source. This helps to ensure that we are exposed to lots of nutrients and amino acid profiles, and it also helps to prevent allergies from developing in two very allergy-prone boys. Anyway, seeing a lack of meaty bones mom thought it was time to stock up. Personally, I like to make sure that my meat locker is pulling its weight, and that it's filled to the brim with feasts-in-waiting.
Food mommy yanked out a number of large bags filled with ground whole goat and mutton, and a couple bags of Nature's Variety beef medallions. There didn't seem to be any RMB meals left, and we get these every few days to make sure our teethers stay nice and white. It was a sad moment until... to my wonder and surprise... from the very very frozen bottom of that wonderful locker of meat... there appeared 6 lbs of turkey necks and 4 lbs of chicken necks. It was a miracle!!!Necks galore! I was in bird neck heaven! I could barely contain my excitement.

In order to make full, balanced meals, 10 pounds of RMBs require 10 lbs of muscle meat and 2 lbs of organs. Mom went onto her clicky internet machine and printed out some meaty coupons and came back from the feasting store with the necessary rations. Then it was time to pack them up! Seeing as though those turkey necks were about a pound a piece and more suited for a beast like my raw feasting friend Biggie-Z, mom had to cleaver the heck out of them and break them into 5 oz and 4 oz servings for Big Pupi and me. These were packaged up with pork and beef meat and chicken livers for a full day's feast and plopped in my meat locker for a good deep freeze.For breakfast the next day I found a delicious turkey neck in my bowl! It was SOOO awesome. I have NO IDEA how my freezer managed to produce meatiness so juicy.A breakfast feast complete with a turkey neck, yogurt, green blend, fish oil capsule, vitamin E capsule, digestive enzymes and a multi-B vitamin (which we get sporadically)

For a super strong-jawed boy like me, turkey necks make for great chewing. Plus, because they are a smaller sized, non-weight bearing bone they make for a good feast for my weaker jawed brother. While chicken necks do us good for their nutritional value, I give them one chomp and it's down the hatch. These turkey necks really make me work and I LOVE IT when I have to hunker down and really focus on eating a meal. YUM! It took me almost 15 minutes to work this breakfast through. I've learned to be a good chewer thanks to these birdy feasts.

I guess the tasty lesson for today is to never underestimate the power of a meat locker. Deep within their bowels lies a treasure trove of delicious secrets, just waiting for your mouth. My meat locker is a magical locker indeed and I respect it dearly. I suggest you do the same.

In that regard, and in honor of the day that my meat locker magically produced 10 lbs of deeply frozen bird necks out of thin air, I declare that day (February 8) Meat Locker Day. On this date we must honor the locker. Clean it. Feast on its contents. Tell it how much you enjoy its hard work. For if it weren't for the beloved meat locker we'd all be just a little bit hungrier.

Here's to you, meat locker. Keeping the feasts fresh.

Happy belated Meat Locker Day, folks.
Stanislaw

21 comments:

Mack said...

SWEET! You two are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom ! My mom just pours out some dry kibble twice a day and that's it. Can I come live with you?

Unknown said...

Hi Stannie!

I'm not on BARF but I sure appreciate a nice juicy bone! We get them from the Bone Man (organic meat retailer) at the Farmers Market on Saturday, but he won't have any fresh bones until Spring. Sigh....counting the days - and hoping the groundhog was right!

Your pal,

Petey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to try to convince my humans to celebrate Meat Locker Day too and get us some fresh marrow bones as a treat! DELICIOUS! We had our first ones over Christmas and dream of them every night. MMMMMMM!

The Oceanside Animals said...

That looks like a typical dog breakfast at our house, too!

Biggie-Z said...

OH DOG! That looks good! Momma needs to get me different meatables because she gets lazy and gives me a lot of poetry, especially chicken. I LOVE turkey necks and yes, they're the right size for me. I chomp 'em like you chomp the chicken necks. Come to think of it, I chomp most things pretty fast unless they're recreational (marrow) bones.

Don't get me wrong, I love poetry, but I think I smelled some beef liver somewhere in the freezer. Do I have to wait til Feb 8 2010 before I get it??

Thanks for the shout out, boyz!

Coco Bean - The Princess said...

yogurt! OMD you totally said yogurt! ever since your mommy told my mommy thatit was ok to feed me plain yogurt i get a tablespoon every other day! it is my favorite...even more so than Coco Cookies! Thank you Stan & Big Pupi for having your mommy teach my mommy about yogurt, fish oil, and vitamin E for me. my skin not as itchy anymore and my doggy breath is gone!

Your meat locker might be magical to you...But to me, you guys and your mommy are magical!

Tail Wiggles & Puppy Kisses

Coco - The Princess

Anonymous said...

Dear Stanislaw--
Oh My Kitty! what a glorious looking neck! I would wolf that thing down if only my mom would give me a chance. I am working on my dad right now. I believe he will let me get my canine teeth into one of those things if I keep begging. Please tell him how great raw food is for my sake!
Licks,
Riley the Catahoula

the many Bs said...

hi Stanislaw, you always make us drool when you are telling us about your feasting. we got turkey necks yesterday too. they were yummylicious. mom makes us eat them outside, and that's totally fine with us. we need our mom to find a good meat store so she can buy more good stuff like you have.

woofs.

the many Bs said...

pee ess - our vetty always tells our mom that we have fabulous teethies! she says it's from those turkey necks scrubbing our teeths.

Eric said...

Stanislaw.I would be worshipping that meat locker, you lucky dogs.Mom went and looked at the geen blend link..very interesting, she will be going back there. Thanks Stanislaw. May your meat locker be ever expanding.

Wiry wags, Eric xxx

Niamh said...

I wish I had a big meat locker like you guys. Mine is part of the refrigerator and is very small. We did have some delicious bones in it though so I think I will celebrate with you guys.

Your friend,
Niamh

Mason Dixie said...

Your meals always makes me hungry, I too only get the dry stuff twice a day. You should have a dinner party and invite all the puppies over. =)

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I feel soooo furry deprived!

I've YET to have a turkey nekhk - no matter how many times she says 'gee, I really need to get Khyra some turkey nekhks'

*SIGH!*

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Joe Stains said...

I bow to your meat locker, what a truly wonderful thing to have. You are so freakin lucky!!

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Uh-oh....you made our mouths leak again! Happy Meat Locker Day!!
Drooly slobbers xx

♪Tobi♪ said...

ooo!! happy feasting!!

~Tobi

Stanley said...

Viva La Meat Locker!!

In belated celebration of this most venerated of holidays, we are doing a special meat dance in GooberStan. It ends with a large final belch to cap off the song!

Your meat locker is almost as magic as mine. One time, mine produced 2 whole chickens for me (minus neck & head & legs)! My girl & I were both surprised!

To the Meat Locker!

Goober love & smooches,
Stanley

Bae Bae said...

Hee hee you sure look very happy to see the meat there.
Your meat locker looks pawsome

~ Bae

Molly the Airedale said...

Boy oh boy does that meal ever look yummy! We don't get any of that goodness here! Does this mean that we're neglected?!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

parlance said...

I think you (humans) might eat more turkey over there than we do here in Australia, but lately there has been turkey wings (at use-by date and therefore cheap) in the supermarket.
I bought some turkey wings, but Penny had a lot of trouble with that really big bone in the wing, so I took it out and left the smaller bones and the meat.

Do you eat turkey wings?

duo_disaster said...

Grrrr... Why does your M serve your BARF is such a nice manner?

You wont want to see ours, its like puke from the a$$ (no pun intended, sorry) minus the smell.

But still.. We go gaga every morning over it!!!

Recently because we have Lafite over, we have most of our food cooked, still! we're begging for the meats even before its cooked! I think we still miss BARF alot thou' we still gobble down the cooked ones, oh well... it better than never right?

We asked M to give Lafite BARF as well, its just so yummilicious that NO dogs will ever reject it! Will you STAN? We dont think so!

She said no, because she is gonna be rehomed & the constant switch of diet (she was previously on kibbles & maybe the next owner would not stick to BARF if we feed) might cause some problems to her. So its a NO go, too bad for her. Anyway, we just wish we can have back our 24/7 BARF routine soon!

P/S: Cookin's a LONG wait!