Sunday, February 3, 2008

Raw Food Diet, Day 2- Super Bowl Edition

Well it's Super Bowl Sunday and that means Super Raw Meat Feasting for both me and the Patriots. I'm sure Rodney Harrison is scarfing down a few raw chicken wings right now to get pumped to play. Although Corey "The Meat Tenderizer" Dillon no longer plays for the Patriots, they are still my favorite team. I love Randy Moss because he is tall, fast and skinny like me. My brother is more of a Wes Welker dog- he's the smallest guy out there, but plays the hardest. But first things first, let's talk poo.

After a day and a half on the BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet, I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality of my poo. Although I was a little constipated last night, when I finally did go, it was tiny and a lot more solid than normal -- unlike my pre-BARF diet poos, which were massive, white and soft. The same was true for my brother, whose "leavings" appeared a bit more on the healthy side. Ah. It's nice to be regular for the first time.

***
a note from the big bro:

I'm sure your humans are going to keep a close eye on your feces, as this can be a good indication on how well your body is handling the new diet. They may notice that volume has decreased significantly -- especially if you've been eating a dry kibble up until this point. The reason for this is that there just isn't a whole lot of "extras" going into your stomach (like grains and fillers), and your body is able to use most of what you take in now. So, there's less waste. Let your human know that it's not unusual for color to change as well, as this is a reflection of what we're eating. It can even change by meal if we're taking in colored veggies for that particular feast. Mucousy stools are also normal at the start of the diet. Mucous exists in the digestive tract normally, and is shed from time-to-time. If this becomes excessive and/or just doesn't ever go away for a while, a sample should be taken to the vet to make sure you don't have any unwelcome parasites or infections in your gut. The occasional black poop might result from eating darker meats or organ meats, but if this remains consistent or there is red blood in the stool for more than a day or two at a time (this can be a result of straining), tell your owner that you should get a check at the vet to make sure everything is as it should be.
***


After our morning walk, my brother and I ran inside as fast as we could to get the first quarter of our Super Raw Feast. We started with a appetizer of some yogurt, fish oil and enzymes, and then attacked a couple of raw chicken wings.

My human said that we are going to get raw femur bones once the Super Bowl starts to keep us "busy". To tell you the truth, I could care less what kind of cooked nacho-pizza-breadstick Super Bowl feast my humans are having while I am working on a fresh cow part.

So far, my new raw meat diet is awesome. My poo is looking better and I haven't had any accidents in the house in a day and a half. I didn't even pee in my diaper when my humans went out last night!

Go raw meat! Go Patriots!

Your buddy,
Stanislaw

No comments: